Sleepless in my house

 September 21, 2021

Yes that's what happened to me Sunday night.  After falling asleep around 11:45pm I woke up somewhere around 1:30am and "that's all she wrote." 

My mind was spinning and even with some rounds of EFT tapping, trying to meditate, telling myself that this moment was the only one to think about, getting up and walking around, a few swear words, I was still awake. I was also thinking how how spacey I would feel the next day.  At least I didn't have any appointments, just an early afternoon food delivery.


I'm so glad I don't have insomnia like this often.  I remember back in the 90s when I could only sleep a couple hours a night for three months.  It was brutal and was caused from PTSD after a surgery outcome that was different from what I'd expected.  All this triggered childhood surgeries that hadn't been healed.

What do people do when they can't sleep? Some get up and read, but I was just too tired to concentrate. I need to get a blue tooth headset so I can listen to some guided meditations or an app for sleep on my phone. I love my iPhone but don't like that they eliminated the headphone jack. I don't like earbuds or anything sticking in my ear.

I've read about people cleaning houses or baking when they couldn't sleep.

Who has insomnia and what do you do when you can't sleep? 

I fell asleep after breakfast on Monday for about an hour and surprisingly felt better than I thought I would.  I also got some answers about something that was worrying me, so I breathed a sigh of relief.  Another nap after lunch helped too but around 7pm I felt myself starting to fade.  It was too early to go to sleep for the night and too late for a nap. 

I'm happy to report that I slept 7 house last night and feel thankful and refreshed.



http://effywild.com

Thank you for reading.



Image by Piyapong Saydaung from Pixabay

9 comments:

Tamara Sagathevan said...

Hi Jean, my insomnia has actually reared its head a bit this month - but usually what happens is I have an anxiety attack during the insomnia times. What I do is try to logic my way out - and when that doesn't work, I wake up, and if my dog is up to it, go for a morning walk, 3am is a peaceful time :) by 6am, I am ready to sleep again! Glad you slept!

Jean Maurie said...

Hi Tamara, yes 3am is peaceful. I like go walk out onto the porch, look for stars and breathe the night air. If the porch was screened I'd stay out longer and maybe grab a blanket and curl up on the chair. Yes anxiety was running in my background and I couldn't find peace then. I've gone back to sleep at 6am too but it still isn't like a full night's sleep. Thank you for responding and I wish you many restful, sweet dream nights ahead.

Angela said...

Oh I remember those days when I was in my 20's - insomnia is no fun at all. I am happy to say I rarely have those nights now, touch wood. Glad you got some sleep.

PUFF said...

Insomnia socks. I have it more nights than not.

Jean Maurie said...

Wow, that had to be really hard Angela. I'm glad you don't have insomnia now. Yes I'm glad I slept last night at least.

Jean Maurie said...

Oh Puff, I am sorry you have insomnia more nights than not. I hope you can find a way to sleep better.

Unknown said...

Periodically unable to sleep. Have used CBD gummies and tincture and that is very good for relaxing without any weird side effects. PTSD/Anxiety issues... for what its worth. Also use headphones for meditation music when I can't sleep. Wishing you rest and ease.

Katherine Grace said...

Oh how I wish I were one of those folks who get up and clean when they can't sleep. My house would be spotless!!!

Morgaine Pendragon said...

Oh I'm so sorry. Insomnia sucks!!
When it strikes me I'm all kinds of out of sorts.
I was disappointed when I found out my tablet didn't
have an earphone jack like my old one. They provided
an adapter to plug the headphones into that then
plugged into the power jack. Which is silly to me
because what happens when I need to charge it, but I'm
still using the headphones??
I do hope the insomnia has passed. ((HUGS))