Free Books and other Free stuff

 September 28, 2021

My county library subscribes to Hoopladigital.com an app where members can borrow and download e-books.  We can borrow 3 books a month.  So today I scrolled through a bunch of available books to see what I wanted to borrow before the end of the month. Since Covid hit I haven't been to the library and I miss it. But being able to download and borrow e-books is fun.  Oh yes, we can borrow movies and also audio books.

Our library subscribes to Libby too - another app.  I can borrow lots of books there if they are available. If not I can put a hold on them.  They also have a lot of magazines.  There are so many I can borrow that I am thinking of unsubscribing to a magazine app I have.

One of the books I borrowed from Hoopla is Come and Get it written by Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman.





I love watching her TV shows.  I was just browsing through the book and found a sheet pan recipe I want to try.  It's called 12 chicken legs and 40 Garlic cloves.  Now I like roasted garlic a lot but not sure I'd roast that many.  She turns on the oven to 400, lays the chicken legs and garlic cloves on the sheet pan, salt and peppers them and drizzles them with olive oil. She roasts them until they are done, about 40 to 45 minutes.  They are served with French bread to spread the garlic cloves on.  Doesn't that sound delicious?

Ree uses frozen bread dough to make pizza with. I want to try that too.

The other free stuff I got was from our health insurance.  We each get $40 to spend every 3 months for stuff like eye drops, tooth paste, and a lot of other health products.  The new quarter starts on October 1 so I needed to catch up here too.  

Then I created a food shopping list to be delivered on Thursday. That isn't free but it's cheaper than walking around the store making impulse buys. 

Ree said in her book that the only communication the cowboys had on the ranch was by Citizens Band Radio until everyone got cell phones.  I remember CB Radio.  My "handle" (name) was The Confessor because I used to write confession stories.


CB radio

Confession magazines my stories were published in



  Confession magazines aren't being published anymore though.  I wish they'd bring them back.  I am so happy with the internet, borrowing and reading e-books, watch movies and tv and get lost in You Tube Videos.  Oh yes, going to online classes on Zoom.  This is all fun. 

http://effywild.com

Thank you for reading.




 




10 comments:

Sue B said...

Ooohhhhhh...confession writing! You have no idea how intriguing that sounds, Jean! Too bad your grocery shopping isn't free but I hear you re the delivery. <3

Unknown said...

You will NEVER regret roasting 40 cloves of garlic. I promise. It doesn't come out garlicy... it comes out ... Just do it. I roast garlic by the whole cluster two or three or four at a time... and keep them to add to sauces. It comes out sweet and savory. Spread on bread... it's heaven. Ree has some great recipes for sure!

Morgaine Pendragon said...

I would most definitely roast the 40 if I were making and probably throw in extra, because I'm a rebel like that lol.
I made a couple of different recipes from her magazine that were a hit.

I love your cb handle. My uncle used to use a cb back in the day. I can remember when people in the neighborhood would use theirs and it was come over the tv programs and you could hear conversations.

Nolwenn said...

I used to watch her show, it seems like forever ago. You know, when the Food Network channel actually had cooking shows instead of only stupid cooking games...

Jean Maurie said...

Sue, I took a confession writing course through Writer's Digest way before there was online courses. It was fun and I sold my "homework" story. I sold about 20 stories but they insisted in all rights so I cannot re sell them or anything. It's ok though and it was fun. I loved reading them and my mother hated that I did. That's ok too. LOL

The shopping is not $ free but it is freeing my body from having to walk around the store finding stuff, standing in line and schlepping them home. They will arrive at my door between 9 and 10 tomorrow morning, we bring them in and put them away. Poof, a week's shopping done.

Jean Maurie said...

Ok Unknown, I ordered some more garlic to be delivered tomorrow. It sounds sooo good. I could also put the leftovers in soup that I will also make.

Jean Maurie said...

Ellie, I had such fun on CB radio. My husband (shutterbug) got involved in getting donations for the Leukemia society and we would go to the local radio station where the CBers would come to donate. It was quite a big hit. Another time we collected toys and donations to give Christmas to 3 families. I think that was my favorite Christmas of all time (except when I was a child).

Yay on being a rebel.

Jean Maurie said...

I don't much care for the cooking games on the Food Channel much either Nolwenn. I subscribe to Discovery+ and I love it. I think all the older cooking shows are on it including the Pioneer Woman from way way back when her children were little. They are such fun to watch. I am hooked on The Take Home Chef now with Curtis Stone. I don't want it to be over!!

I cannot get chicken legs in my order tomorrow!!! They are out of stock!!! LOL I wonder if thighs would work as well.

Empire of the Cat said...

How fun, confession writing! Our library has ebooks and audiobooks available to download, it's been really useful, especially while they were all closed last year.

Donna said...

I love roasted garlic, oh you've reminded me I haven't done that in a LONG time! We have Libby here too, and I borrow books then forget to read them so they return quite happily all by themselves ha ha.