OOPS

 September 24, 2021

Friday night 9:30 pm.  

 I really messed up today making soup.  I put my Instant Pot on sauté while chopping vegetables.  Added some butter and olive oil, then dumped the veggies in.  I opened a new bag of baby spinach and dumped half of it in the pot.  Something told me to taste the spinach so I did.  Yuck.  It had a musty taste and luckily I'd only put it on top. So I scooped it out and put it back in the bag.  I poured the chicken broth in and added my spices.  But I forgot to push the steam valve toward the back. I pushed pressure for 9 minutes and left the room. 


Next thing I heard all this hissing.  Being in the middle of something on my iPad I decided to wait a bit. Bernie came in and said, "Is the Instant Pot supposed to be hissing like this?"  I hurried into the kitchen and steam and liquid was coming out like it was natural releasing. The silver button was up but the pot wasn't counting down.  Hmm, I thought, what do I do next?  I turned it off, pushed the hissing valve back and turned on the pot again.  But it still didn't count down.  So I carefully pushed the valve forward again and let it release all the steam.  Liquid was still coming out making a mess on the lid. Finally I was able to open the pot and the soup looked ok.  I'd sautéed the stuff a while before and the pressure did build.  Nothing was raw and one can drink the broth right out of the carton. 
 So I decided I'd serve the soup anyhow.  Some of the vegetables were a tad more crunchy than usual but on the whole the soup was good.  This was the first time in 3 years that I forgot to push the steam valve back so I didn't beat myself up.

http://effywild.com


Thank you for reading.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm glad you heard it and didn't have a bigger problem!!

Jean Maurie said...

Thanks. These Instant Pots are quite safe. So what would have happened is the steam would have come all the way down, the silver pin would have dropped and it would have been safe to open. I've never heard of one blowing up.

Morgaine Pendragon said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay!

Glad you caught the spinach before it cooked down too!!
That would have been terrible.