The Joys of Summer

Hubby said, "Let's do something different today."
"Like what?"  I asked.

We talked about different things, then I suggested the Farmer's Market for one.  He liked that, especially for the juicy peaches.  So off we went.

I love this time of year seeing all the fields being planted and watching vegetables already growing in others.


The Farmer's Market is a nice drive from our house and the morning was cool so we drove with the windows open.  Later it got too hot and we had to fire up the air conditioner.

We always shop at one place as we've gotten to know the Jarvis family. 



Bernie goes right for the peaches.  
Juicy peaches

 While I head for the squash. 


Yellow Summer Squash

Zucchini squash
I make a lot of stir fry meals with squash, onions, garlic, red peppers, button mushrooms a dollop of low sodium soy sauce, garlic powder, chicken broth and lots of cheese. We eat them with Quinoa.  Rice or pasta would be delicious too.
I love the yellow summer squash cooked with butter, salt and pepper. I remember eating that for the first time at my aunt's house in Bryn Mawr, Pa.  I was a child and loved this ever since.

Another way I love to use squash is making soup in my Instant Pot.  I saute onions and garlic, then add cut up squash, seasonings, and sometimes cabbage or bagged spinach.  I've even put beans in at times.  Depends what I have in my refrigerator.  I then add a whole big box of chicken broth and push the manual for 6 minutes. I let the pressure go down on it's own for a few minutes, then I release it manually.  When the little silver pin goes down I open the pot, and use my immersion blender until the soup is smooth. Then I add a big handful of cheese and half and half.  We eat it with crackers.  It goes so good with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. 




The tomatoes are big and oh so good. They are grown locally too. 


Lake Lure, NC

Tomatoes


I used to say there was nothing like a Jersey tomato but since I've been away from that state for quite awhile I can say I love these gorgeous, juicy North Carolina tomatoes.  What's better than sliced tomatoes on bread with mayonnaise? Or a BLT?  Even a slice or two of a sweet onion and salt and pepper too.

I don't want to forget the luscious corn and green beans.  We cook our corn in the Instant Pot for 3 to 4 minutes, quick release the pressure and the corn is sooo good.  I have yet to try cooking the green beans in the IP but I'm looking forward to it.



Fresh corn

Half Runner Beans




There are all kinds of pickled foods in jars too.  Here are some of them which I haven't tasted yet.






Just writing this and seeing the delicious produce has made me hungry.  I think I'll go in the kitchen and start prepping for a yummy stir fry dinner.




















4 comments:

Simone said...

Oh, I am officially envious - it looks like superb produce for a superb cook! Wish I could come over for dinner ��

Jean Maurie said...

You can come to dinner anytime Simone <3 <3 That would please me so much.

Nolwenn said...

Doing something different now and then is amazing, isn't it? And you seem to have so many good produce available. Thanks for sharing some of the recipes you do in your Instant Pot.
I love sliced zucchini with ghee (clarified butter), onion, garlic and a splash of soy sauce and sriracha.
It's almost noon here, and now I am hungry :D

Sue B said...

Ohhh you were right, this did make me hungry. Everything looks delicious. I love Farmer's Markets, especially if they have local crafts as well.